student newspaper of Hobart High School

The Brickie Pride

Filed under Feature Stories

HHS Marches to Purdue Band Day

Field at Purdue Band Day

Mike Binion

Field at Purdue Band Day

On Saturday, Sept. 12. the Hobart High School (HHS) Marching Band traveled to Purdue University, West Lafayette to perform with the Purdue All-American Marching Band. Hobart High School’s band prepared for this day one month in advance, in order to perform selections of music from John Philip Sousa and Matt Conaway at Purdue’s halftime show.

The day started gloomy, dark and early for HHS band members, who had to be on their way to West LaFayette by 4 a.m. Upon arrival, the clouds parted and the band went through two sets of warm ups: one as an individual group, and, again, with the bands from other schools. In a memorable collaboration, HHS band members joined the same field that the Purdue All-American marching band practices on.

Mike Binion, the HHS band’s drum major, said “It was very fun and I was getting a taste of what I would expect from a college band practice.”

After warm-ups, all of the high school bands joined together to eat lunch provided by the Purdue Polytechnic Institute. Excitement started to build and nerves started to shake as the band mentally prepared for playing on the same football field as Purdue.

Corinne Wenzel, junior trumpet player states that this experience,”…made me want to go to college after going to Purdue band day.”

The band walked two miles through Purdue campus to the Mackney Arena, Purdue’s basketball stadium.

Morgan Oldham, a junior and trumpet player for the band, explained that, “[Purdue Band Day] was a good experience and it makes me want to continue marching band.”

A pregame show is prepared by the Purdue band before all football games and the band was lucky enough to experience what the pregame had to offer. The pregame consisted of the Purdue band playing pieces from not only their marching show, but pieces from popular music.

“The whole atmosphere is exciting and exhilarating” Senior, Matthew O’Gallagher, said.

Purdue’s football players also spoke with the band about their excitement because this was their first home game of the year.

After the pregame, it was game time. All the high school bands gathered together at the same end zone to watch the game. Each high school band takes their turn playing pieces of music that they have prepared; such as, Seven Nation Army, Carry on my Wayward Son, and more. They also shout out chants to get everyone pumped for the game.

During the end of the second quarter, all the bands made their way down to the football field at the end zones in preparation for playing in the halftime show.

“The fact that we were able to march onto the same field as the Purdue All-American Marching Band is a memorable and unforgettable memory for the Hobart band. It was an amazing opportunity for the band and that they were a part of this experience and were able to be on the same field brings a great deal of inspiration to many of our band students,” said Deanna Weldon.

Saxophone player, Sara Hill stated, “[Purdue Band Day] showed me all the possibilities in my future.”