student newspaper of Hobart High School

The Brickie Pride

Filed under Sports

Track Update

This track season is slowly coming to a close and the athletes are ending with an overall great season. The team was 5 and 1 in conference.  The boys team placed 2nd place at the NCC championship. Conference champs were Brandon Robison with the 110 hurdles and the 300 hurdles, Elijah Mercado with long jump, Miguel Marcano with pole vault, Nick Ray with disc, and Brad Potts with shot. There were a few 2nd place conference runner ups as well; Luddy Skog with pole vault, Brad Potts with disc, Nick Ray with shot, the 4×100 relay of Dane Hume, Luis Cordero, Brandon James, and Elijah Mercado, and the 4×400 relay of Brandon Robison, Sean Anderson, Juan Lamar, and Gio Galloway. Overall, the boys did amazing at conference and were very successful.

Sectionals took place last night, and the boys team did great again. Sectional champions consisted of; Nick Ray for discus and Brandon Robison for the 300 hurdles. Brandon James was a runner up for high jump. Athletes that are also advancing are, Elijah Mercado for long jump, Nick Ray and Brad Potts for shot, Miguel Marcano and Luddy Skog for pole vault, Brandon Robison for the 110 hurdles, and the 4×100 relay team of Elijah Mercado, Dane Hume, Luis Cordero, and Brandon James.

Mr. Artherhults would also like to recognize Collin Allen for his very successful track career, as well as Alex Tam, Gio Galloway, and Josh Novak. Mr. Artherhults also wants to acknowledge Brandon James for getting 2nd place in high jump, considering he had just started high jump this year.

The track team had a fantastic season, and it seems like a great team to be apart of. Mr. Artherhults’ advice for those who want to do track next year is “Be committed and willing to try new things and you can be successful” Good luck to those who are moving on to regionals!