Preview of Track 2018

Alaiya Melton, Contributor

This 2018 track season has been off to a great start! Coaches Ty Arthurhults, Justine Eubank, and Steve Balash have noted that the athletes have been working extremely hard during conditioning and indoor season.  Within the first month of the season starting, there have been multiple relay teams and individuals rank extremely high in the state. “These kids have been working hard so far. I’m excited for what’s to come.” 

Coach Arthurhults has had nothing but positive things to say about this upcoming track season. He has pointed out some key athletes due to their, “great work ethic, competitiveness, and great team spirit.”

Omena Onomakpome(senior)- 110m hurdles, 300m hurdles, 4x400m relay

Olexia Brookshire(junior)-100m dash, 4x100m relay, 4x400m relay

Ryan Brown(senior)-4x800m relay, 4x400m relay

Justis Leon(senior)- 4x800m relay, 4x400m relay

Egypt Scott(sophomore)- Thrower 36ft

Aaron Morin(senior)- Thrower 44.7ft

“We have an extremely young team, but I’m looking forward to a lot of improvement,” Coach Balash explains that although this year’s track team is young, we’ll see immense growth. I interviewed Coach Arthurhults about his outlook for this season, he answered me with nothing short of excitement. The eagerness in his voice really showed as he elaborated on his claims. As the head coach, it is obvious that he is impressed with the talent that he has seen so far; moreover, the season looks bright!

Q: What are you looking towards this season?

A: I’m looking forward to seeing what the athletes bring to the table. We have a lot of people from the lower levels come out and they have an incredible amount of talent and determination.

Q: Do you predict any breakout stars this season?

A: Yes, I’m expecting to see many athletes to try their best. We already have multiple athletes qualify for our indoor state meet, although we were unable to attend due to the weather complications.

Q: Do you expect anyone to go to state?

A: I sure hope so! I hope to send more athletes this year down to IU. This outdoor season I hope to send even more athletes down to Bloomington. Last year our girls 4x400m relay went down and I’m hoping to send them again!