Former Athletic Director Goes Back to The Classroom

Teacher Joins Us From Bishop Noll

Maggie Ziembicki
Ms. Krolak poses for a picture in her 5th-hour class.

Students at Hobart High are lucky to have Ms. Brandi Krolak join us back in the classroom to teach English. After many years of teaching, she starts a new chapter at Hobart High School teaching grades 9 and 10. 

Ms. Krolak is a fantastic teacher here at Hobart High School teaching English 9 and 10. Hobart High School isn’t the first place she has taught. She came here from Bishop Noll as an Athletic Director but that was not her first time teaching at Bishop Noll. She had taught grades 9 through 11 at Bishop Noll before teaching grades 10 through 12 at Lake Central. Even though most of her teaching career took place at different high schools, she started to teach at a middle school. She was excited when she found out that Hobart had an opening. “I really liked the fact that it’s not a small school but it’s not huge. It’s a nice middle feel,” Krolak said. When Ms. Krolak teaches she doesn’t fail to bring life to the classroom. She really makes her students feel comfortable and make her classroom feel like home. 

As a child, she wanted to be a teacher. The kindergarten teacher she had when she was growing up had inspired her to do what she is doing now because when she got the feeling of finally understanding something she wanted to give that feeling someone else. She started her education after high school off with Ball State for 2 years but didn’t like being so far and didn’t feel like she was getting a good education there so she went to Calumet college. Instead of going to college for English she originally went for science instead of English. She ended her college days with Indiana University for her Masters. She got her teaching license to teach high school, but her admin license is for all grades. She likes teaching the age group that she does because she thinks that working with students in high school not only fits her personality better but she can relate to them better than younger kids.  

As a teacher Ms. Krolak faces a lot of difficulties, like for example, watching students not succeed.

She said,” It’s not the grading or the paperwork that to me is the hardest is not watching them succeed and sometimes there’s not much I can do about that because of outside forces.”

On the other hand, the best part of her job is seeing kids every day and getting to share knowledge with them. Sometimes when sharing knowledge with a student she makes an impact and sometimes she makes an impact without even noticing. Krolak said, “It’s nice to know that, whether it is in the actual academics or in any other aspect that I can touch another life or help someone, that’s what makes it all worth it.” Even when asked if she would do anything else career-wise, she said no because she thinks working with young people is a better job. Some advice she gives to others wanting to become teachers is that it has to be something that’s meaningful to you, don’t let others point out all the bad because you can overcome the bad, and working with students is special and if you can do it then you should pursue it.